Sunday, May 13, 2007

How Do I Sell My Real Estate Notes for Cash?

Let's say I need money and I want to sell my real estate notes. There are several advantages to cashing in on my debt contract – I can avoid inflation, access my funds anytime, and get rid of the hassle of monthly collections. When you need extra cash flow, selling debt instruments is far more convenient than taking out a loan.

The first step in selling any debt note is finding a note buyer. The note buyer will assess the note based on the balance, interest rate, the payer's stability, and other factors that contribute to the risk it poses. Because the buyer takes on the risk of the agreement, you can't expect to get the full value of the note. For example, when I sell my real estate note worth $80,000, I might get about $75,000 in cash. The $5,000 is the cost of the risk I transfer to the buyer – the risk of inflation, of rising interest rates, or the payor defaulting or going bankrupt.

Most people simply sell the whole contract, but it's also possible to sell just some of the payments. This can be a good option if you don't need a large lump sum, or if you want to keep getting monthly payments. Or if I like the current interest rate on the contract, I can sell my real estate note partially and keep earning the same interest.
Another alternative is to sell my real estate notes in full, get part of the lump sum, and receive the rest in monthly installments. There are many other ways to structure the sale, and your note buyer should discuss all of them with you.

There are lots of note buyers willing to buy out contracts, but they don't all offer the same rates. I wouldn't sell my real estate notes to the first buyer who comes along; it's best to consult different buyers and compare their quotes before settling on a deal. Most buyers will give you a quote for free, although they may charge for the appraisal and title policy. If they charge any other fees, just find another buyer – chances are they're not stable enough to offer free consultation services.

There should also be no closing costs, points, or other associated fees throughout the transaction. Any fees involved are supposed to be paid at the time I sell my real estate note, and not midway or after the deal.

Also watch out for the "bait and switch" buyers who force you into a cheap deal after you've sold the contract. Basically, I sell my real estate notes for a decent price, but the buyer lowers the price later on because my property buyer allegedly had low credit. This is a highly unethical practice – the buyer is supposed to review your payor's credit upfront.

Lastly, make sure to document the whole deal. It's very risky to sell my real estate notes without a written purchase agreement to back it up. Put down in writing every detail of the sale, and be sure to understand all the terms and conditions.

Selling your real estate contract is a great way to raise money without the hassle of bank loans. As long as you find a good buyer, cashing in can prove much more profitable than waiting for monthly payments. Besides, you can do a lot more with cash than you can with a contract.

No comments: